Tuesday 11 February 2014

Trick and Treat Tuesday: peekaboo!

So today decided to take things into my own paws. Mum's been slack with writing our Trick and Treat Tuesdays because she's "working"... yeah right... Anyway, so I decided to show you pup a very silly little trick that makes mum laugh every time, even though it's her asking me... It's well worth learn because it can also be used when you get a bit scared of things around. You can go straight to mum or dad and hide in between their legs.
So mum calls it the "peekaboo"...

Mawson, what are you doing? I'm working, I don't have time to look at the blog tonight.

Shoosh mum go away, I'm busy and don't need you! Except... you got a treat? Uh, so where was I? Ah yes, how to do that silly trick... Well for me, that was quite easy, because even though I try and look like a big tough boy, I'm a "bit" unsure of everything, and often when I get too scared, I run between mum's legs. I know I'm safe there. But obviously she didn't do the trick and associated it with something scary... That would be very silly wouldn't it?! She just knew I had no issues with passing through her legs! She used food and very safe situations yay! Much better!!

Obviously, that's a trick that is at its most punchy with an appropriate sized dog, can be done with any sized dog though. But let's be honest minions, a chihuahua would give you a back ache peekaboo (all that bending down to give treats!!).
And well you might not want to try that with a great dane... Ouch!

Whereas I am, obviously, perfectly sized ;P  !!

So the best way for the minions to get that is use food. Get us to sit and wait (uh and come back to give us a treat from time to time if we do that well, cause, well, it's hard work to sit, and treats are cool!). Then move one step in front of us and call us while looking through your legs (I love that trick cause it makes the minions look a bit silly!!) and lure us through by dangling a treat. When we come through and just pass our heads through click/say yes and give us the treat! Repeat that a few times close, and start putting a few more steps distance between us, always giving rewards.

When we get the idea you can add your "cue" word. Mum, in a very imaginative way uses "peekaboo", well *sigh* you see what I have to deal with...
Repeat the trick with treats and the cue word. Then try and get further and further, and/or start changing position so as not to be a straight line for us. Make sure you progress the trick by little steps because, we can get confused! If it starts being a tad too complicated, then go back one step and get the basics right again. Always make sure to have fun and a bag of treats!! That's where mum says that you can slowly start phasing treats away... Do you really think I'll recommend that, hey? Really?! Nope, methinks not...
So now that's it! You know how to do the peekaboo! Apparently mum said it had other uses, like in dancing but don't know what she means cause I'm not dancing?! I'm and awkward teenager! mmm what has she got in her head again?....
I know normally that's much more dignified... but dad's always got to try and poke fun at me...

No comments:

Post a Comment